Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Lessons of Winning

It always seems like big wins only happen to someone else. Growing up I recall a few times when the home team had a surprising upset or nail-biter victory, but most of the time it seemed like we watched the other side bask in all the amazing last-second scores. I became so pessimistic that this could or would ever happen to me or my team that when I watched a game I usually prepared myself mentally for the inevitable fact that we would not be capable of pulling off a last-minute victory. It simply never happens…its impossible. With that attitude in place, I began watching my daughter play basketball today with other fourth graders. They were evenly matched, keeping the spread within two baskets most of the game. (Their previous matchup was lost 28-6.) But entering the second half that old feeling came back; whatever possible edge we had would soon be crushed and the other team would begin slipping out of our grasp. It wasn't until the last 14 seconds of the game I realized that a victory was possible...I let myself start to consider that we could win this game. Down by a single point, we regained possession in the last six seconds and the final hoop was literally sunk at the buzzer. The all-American last-second slow-motion "swish" only seen in movies had played out before our eyes – possibly the only time that will happen in my lifetime. Parents high-fived each other, some tossed the hero player into the air and it felt so sweet to know we tipped the scale in the last second. In life, in business, in anything, I wonder how often we eliminate ourselves from the race too early when we don't allow ourselves to be optimistic of a positive outcome. A last-second win is always possible.

No comments: